Monday, February 27, 2012

Holmenkollen Ski Jump

The main purpose of this blog is to keep you all updated on whats happening with my football. But I also want to try and add more posts on what I get up to while I'm over here, information on the places I visit and see, etc. So over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to try my best to not only update you all on my football, but also add some photos of different parts of Oslo and different things like that. Sundays in Europe are usually pretty boring, especially in Norway. Everything in town is closed and there is usually very little to do. So on Sunday (yesterday), I decided to go and check out one of the main tourist attractions, the Holmenkollen ski jump. The ski jump is a notable part of the landscape surrounding the Oslo area; because of its location you can easily see the ski jump from anywhere in the city. I'm currently living very close to the ski jump, so after passing it everyday the past couple of weeks, I decided it was time to go check it out. I had been to see it before, but not for almost two years and I had never been in the winter. I was hoping to see some ski jumpers training, but unfortunately there weren't any training when I arrived. This is definitely one of the most popular tourist attractions and that was obvious yesterday, as there were plenty of tourists checking it out. You don't really realize the size of the ski jump until you get there, but it truly is huge. I have no idea how the skiers do what they do, it must be absolutely terrifying. I was disappointed that I didn't get to see any skiers jumping in person, but maybe I'll go check out a competition there one day if I get time. Another reason many people like to go there, is because of the view of the city; you have a stunning view of the whole city and the Oslo fjord. I would definitely recommend going to see the ski jump, if you get the chance to travel to Oslo. Check out my pictures below.











No comments:

Post a Comment